If you've come here looking for my taphophile and graveyard posts, they can now be found at my new blog, Beneath Thy Feet. Hope to see you there.

Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Gallery - A Family Story #thegallery






The theme this week: A Family Story. This is my family's story.


Above is a photograph of a child's drawing. That picture was drawn nearly six years ago by my autistic daughter Ana in 2005 at a moment when we were all embarking on our new life together as a family.


I had Ana in 1998 at 18 years of age and soon became a single parent. For the first six years of her life I lived with my parents and threw myself into solely looking after her needs. Then in 2004 I met my then partner and now husband. A moment I never ever thought would happen. What man would want to take me and another man's child on, let along a child with problems and as for having more children? Well, you could forget it.


2005 was a busy year for us, we had just moved into a place of our own. A big change for Ana, but one she took in her stride as well as the fact she was expecting a new brother or sister.


In the picture is myself, complete with baby in tummy, my husband, our cat Thomas (back when we only had one cat) our dog Shen and Ana broken hearted at the fact our old dog Rex had recently passed on to doggy heaven, but still very much a member of our family in her eyes.


Seven years on here we are, expecting anpother addition to our family. We're not perfect, we have our ups and downs, there have been very good times and there have been very bad times. But we have got through them all, together.



For more Gallery posts, please stop by Sticky Fingers Blog.

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely family story! Warmed the cockles of my heart this chilly morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story. The way the dog is included is a little heartbreaking! Congratulations on your pregnancy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story and lovely picture. You all look so happy. Congratulations on your pregnancy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely picture. Congratulations on the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely picture. I thought I'd always be on my own. Like you I didn't think anyone would be willing to take on me & my 3 children, but there's someone out there for all of us it seems :o) Lovely post & congrats!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story to go with a lovely picture. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous picture - I love that the cats are there too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the dog Shen. It makes me smile. What a great way to tell a family story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely! Especially about the dogs, bless her lovely socks. I'm glad your family grew when you elast expected it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful story. LOve the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet drawing. The detail she's gone in to is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful reminder of such an important year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely story and what a priceless piece of art you have to keep for ever and ever. Congratulations on your pregnancy - will it be a summer or winter baby?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your take on the theme! The drawing is fabulous, and your story touching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an wonderful post, truly represents your family story, so lovely! Was your daughter dreaming of getting some fish?! She is so creative!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emotional..you made me well up. i love the baby in your tummy! Family is all about the up's and downs but is the sticking together that makes it wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww that's a lovely picture and story :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a wonderful celebration of your family. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...